Re: [Xen-users] New XEN user question

To: Mark Hargrove <mark@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] New XEN user question
From: Adam Carheden <adam.carheden@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 27 Dec 2005 09:25:47 -0700
Cc: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Tue, 27 Dec 2005 16:29:47 +0000
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Mark,

Do you mean it hangs forever after you see "Waiting on manditory
device..."? I get that same error message with Suse93 that I migrated
to a DOMU, but it's normal. SuSE keeps track of the MAC address of
your NIC, but as a DOMU, it has a different MAC address, so it
complains but boots fine anyway for me. As for veth0 and vif0, these
are devices created by Xen, so SuSE doesn't know about them and
shouldn't have to.

If the system hangs for a while (20 seconds or so) and then continues
booting, don't worry about it. If it reboots on you, then try added
'noreboot' after 'kernel /xen.gz' in menu.lst. as suggested
previously. If it just locks up, try hitting ctrl+F2 to see if SuSE
will let you get to another vty and log on. If so, post the output of:

dmesg
cat /var/log/messages
xm dmesg

Good luck.

Thanks

On 12/26/05, Mark Hargrove <mark@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> I am trying to get XEN 3 running under SuSE 10 on an AMD 64 x2 4800-based
> system.  I have configured my menu.lst file as indicated by several "how-to"
> documents out there, and the system begins booting and proceeds quite far
> into the boot process and then hangs when it tries to activate the ethernet
> card.  Specifically, just before it hangs,I get  messages telling me that it
> has no definitions for 'veth0' or 'vif0' emits the message "Waiting on
> mandatory device eth0", and then hangs.  The system boots the normal SuSE 10
> kernel (2.6.14) just fine.  I quite recently downloaed a bunch of new XEN
> updates via YAST, so I believe I have the latest images.
>
> I'm sure that more information is needed if someone is going to help me, but
> I'm so new to this that I don't even know what to post.
>
> Any help would be appreciated!
>
> -Mark Hargrove

Adam Carheden