RE: [Xen-users] Intel shipping hardware VM CPU's already... morecomingDe

Subject: RE: [Xen-users] Intel shipping hardware VM CPU's already... morecomingDecember 27 2005 65nm
From: "Daniel Goertzen" <daniel.goertzen@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 22 Dec 2005 07:50:16 -0600
Cc: <xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Delivery-date: Thu, 22 Dec 2005 13:53:31 +0000
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

>> My dream desktop will run xen with a linux dom0 for all the network
>> and storage goodness, and WindowsXP in a domU so I can play all my
>> games.  As I understand it, a few things need to happen:
[...]
>> Even with xen drivers in Windows, I wonder how much slower disk access
>> will be.  Some games already take a really long time to load, and I
>> wouldn't tolerate a big increase.
>
>Just exactly what does Xen has to with gaming? It's obviously meant for
servers - which is >exactly where the development effort should be focused.

>Try VMWare or Wine, those are more desktop-oriented (though the latter
isn't exactly a >virtualization system).

Yes, servers are the primary focus for xen, but it is very interesting for
the home enthusiast too.  For example, you could build an ultra quiet
diskless Windows system using a linux dom0 that provides a network block
device to a Windows domU.  BTW, I don't see anything extra that a
desktop/gaming machine would need out of xen that isn't needed for server
use.  All the things I listed were already in roadmaps and xen
presentations.

Cheers,
Dan.