Re: [Xen-users] Xen networking concepts

On Wed, 2005-12-21 at 10:06 +0100, René Pfeiffer wrote:
> On Dec 20, 2005 at 1806 -0500, John A. Sullivan III appeared and said:
> > [...]
> > Why do you need a second IP address (unless I missed something).
>
> The second IP address is not necessary. I just thought about having
> alternative access to the server by using Dom0 or one of the DomUs.
>
> > To eliminate the need to publicly expose the dom0 even in colocation
> > scenarios, we typically assign dom0 a private address only and access
> > it via VPN.  Thus one only needs a public IP address for the VPN
> > gateway -
>
> This means that in your setting the access happens through a VPN gateway
> running in one of the DomUs, right?
Yes, if I understand you correctly.  When two IPs are available, we
prefer to have a separate physical gateway but that does not appear to
be an option for you so, yes, a little bit of the tail wagging the dog!
Hope this helps - John

--
John A. Sullivan III
Open Source Development Corporation

Financially sustainable open source development
http://www.opensourcedevel.com