Re: [Xen-users] Xen networking concepts

To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] Xen networking concepts
From: René Pfeiffer <lynx@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 20 Dec 2005 13:46:47 +0100
Delivery-date: Tue, 20 Dec 2005 12:49:57 +0000
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Hello!

After some sleep and not poking around in the configs some questions
were answered.

On Dec 20, 2005 at 0928 -0200, Fernando Maior appeared and said:

> With Xen 3.0 you cannot pin down vif names. Besides, there is no need for
> that if you are using the scripts that come with Xen to start the network
> and bind the vifs to the bridges.

That's something I understood yesterday. The vifs are bound to the
bridges given in the domain's config file. Also my kernel wasn't ready
to handle multiple dummy devices (the dummy driver has to be a module to
have this feature). In addition to that I thought that I can use the Xen
network scripts for the creation of all devices necessary, but now I
believe it is better to use extra scripts to handle everything besides
Xen's xenbr0 and its virtual interfaces.

> If I may try to help you, there are some scripts and considerations.
>
> In dom0, create two bridges. I will call them switches, because that is
> what they really are like. [...]

I will give this a shot and see how it works. Many thanks!

Best,
Lynx.

--
"From the delicate strands,