Re: [Xen-users] Module error in mkinitrd

To: Jeff McCune <mccune@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] Module error in mkinitrd
From: "John A. Sullivan III" <jsullivan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 07 Nov 2005 11:01:08 -0500
Cc: Xen User List <xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Delivery-date: Mon, 07 Nov 2005 16:01:32 +0000
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
On Mon, 2005-11-07 at 10:33 -0500, Jeff McCune wrote:
> John A. Sullivan III wrote:
> > We are happily running xen on a server which uses a SATA driver (thank
> > you all you xenists for producing such a great product).  However, we
> > are creating a custom kernel for a domU.  When we attempt to run
> > mkinitrd we get:
> >
> > No module ata_piix found for kernel 2.6.11.12-xenUIPSec, aborting.
> >
> > This is the SATA driver.  In the past (xen 2.0.5), we simply ran make
> > ARCH=xen menuconfig and told it to build a module for the low level scsi
> > driver for ata_piix.  That was simply to eliminate the error as I do not
> > think the domU actually needs the SATA driver.
> >

> This is a configuration issue with mkinitrd.  Configuring mkinitrd to
> exclude modules you don't need in domU's should fix this issue.
> Remember, you're building an initial ram disk for a domU and not dom0,
> so you don't need many modules.

That's what I would have thought.  Pardon my ignorance but how does one
configure mkinitrd to exclude these modules? Thanks - John
<snip>
--
John A. Sullivan III
Open Source Development Corporation

Financially sustainable open source development
http://www.opensourcedevel.com