Re: [Xen-users] mixing 2.6 / 2.4 kernels lots of fun

To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] mixing 2.6 / 2.4 kernels lots of fun
From: "Gino LV. Ledesma" <gledesma@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 28 Sep 2005 08:28:57 -0700
Delivery-date: Wed, 28 Sep 2005 15:26:40 +0000
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
On 9/28/05, Hugues Belanger <hbelanger@xxxxxxx> wrote:

> What I would like to do is install 4 VM's on smeserver from contribs.org
> one openfiler from openfiler.org and one fedoracore3 + qemu + windows XP
> and one Fedoracore 4.

<< snipped >>

> Device Boot    Start       End    Blocks   Id  System
> /dev/sda3p1             1       391   3140676   8e  Linux LVM
>
> 3 - pvcreate /dev/sda3
> pvcreate -- ERROR: "/etc/lvmtab" doesn't exist or is unreadable; you may
> need to run vgscan
>
> 4-  vgscan
> vgscan -- LVM driver/module not loaded?
>
> 5-  lsmod
> Module                  Size  Used by    Not tainted
> lsmod: QM_MODULES: Function not implemented
>
> 6- depmod -ae
> depmod: QM_MODULES: Function not implemented

Looks like your kernel has no support for modules. You can rebuild the
domU kernel to include kernel module support, or build LVM support
into the kernel directly. Copying the modules is only half the trick.

Another alternative you can do is make OpenFiler use the dom0 kernel
to use your real disks if you have problems with LVM (though I don't
see why there should be any).

HTH,

gino ledesma