[Xen-users] What's the magic to compile a unified dom0 and domU kernel i

To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Xen-users] What's the magic to compile a unified dom0 and domU kernel image?
From: Markus Schuster <ma.schuster@xxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 14 Sep 2005 00:40:20 +0200
Delivery-date: Tue, 13 Sep 2005 23:19:52 +0000
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Hi list,

I'm playing around with XEN 2.0.7 (using the .debs) and want to have
only one kernel image for dom0 and domU (like SuSE has) with different
initrds.
Now my problem: First I've tried to use my old 2.6.11 config and just
enable all the XEN specific options to have it work as dom0 and domU ->
no go, see output in [1].
Second I've tried using the config of the XEN domU kernel and enabling
all the modules I need for my hardware -> no go, output is the same as
in [1]. (I should remark that the original XEN domU config of course
works here, but not after enabling what I need).
Third I've extracted the SuSE 9.3 rpm and "borrowed" their config. After
enabling all the options Debian needs to successfully boot with an
initrd (cramfs and devfs) I got a working kernel that boots just fine in
dom0 AND domU (of course with different hand-optimized initrds)!

Now I could just say wow, how cool this is (actually XEN is quite cool I
think :)) but I want to understand what's the magic kernel option SuSE
has set (or not set) and I have (not). After hours of research and
comparing the two config files (using the excelent kdiff3) and compiling
the kernel at least 20 times with different options from the SuSE config
I still have no working vmlinuz image from my own config file.
I've uploaded the two config-files (the working and the not working one)
to http://markus.schuster.name/xen/ maybe someone has time to have a
look at it (the kernel has much too much options to try all by hand ;))

Thanks for your help in advance.

Greetings,
Markus

[1]
dom0:~# xm create ttylinux -c
Using config file "/etc/xen/ttylinux".
Started domain ttylinux, console on port 9605
************ REMOTE CONSOLE: CTRL-] TO QUIT ********