Re: [Xen-users] FreeBSD & Gentoo Images

To: Christian Keil <c.keil@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] FreeBSD & Gentoo Images
From: Andrew Thompson <andrewkt@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 30 Jun 2005 11:22:07 -0400
Cc: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Thu, 30 Jun 2005 15:21:27 +0000
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Christian Keil wrote:
Hello,

does anyone have a vbd file of these 2 Operating Systems ? So far I only managed to get Debian Sarge installed properly with deboostrap.

Gentoo is fairly easy:

Download the stage3(you can get stage2 if you're bored) archive and the current portage snapshot. Follow the directions* in the handbook on gentoo.org for unzipping the two archives. chroot in and tweak your standard stuff(hostname, fstab, resolv.conf, /etc/make.conf, /etc/conf.d/net).

Set up a xen config file to look at whatever partition or volume you've just installed into and xm create -c <newgentoo>.

Just know that you'll probably need to let it sit a couple of hours running "emerge -u world".

Sorry I can't help with the FreeBSD.

*Specifically see: Chapter 5, 6.e, 8, and 9 (from the x86 handbook)

--
Andrew Thompson
http://aktzero.com/