Re: [Xen-users] Debian Packages for 2.06

To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] Debian Packages for 2.06
From: Yvette Chanco <yentlsoup@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 24 Jun 2005 20:30:20 -0500
Delivery-date: Sat, 25 Jun 2005 01:29:33 +0000
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
On 6/24/05, Martin Maney <maney@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Wed, Jun 22, 2005 at 03:05:56PM -0500, Yvette Chanco wrote:
> > I'm not a debian package maintainer, but I have created debian
> > packages of 2.0.6 for internal use (they are still being tested, but
> > here's the link - http://www.option-c.com/debian/pool/main/x/xen/).
>
> It looks to me as though there is a proper archive setup here, and the
> apt source config is:
>
> deb http://www.option-c.com/debian unstable main
>
> Works here (only tested as far as seeing the new packages listed in
> aptitude; I'll look further later on when the project machine is
> available again).

Curiously, I didn't expect any interest in this. Since people are
looking at it, here's some quick extra information.

1) It should be a proper archive - I've tested the above in
/etc/apt/sources.list and installed the packages. However, since I
created it as unstable, I wanted to change it to experimental (since
that's what it was originally for the "official" debian packages)
before giving the apt sources config. Too late now, I'll leave it as
Martin said:

deb http://www.option-c.com/debian unstable main

2) These kernels are "plain vanilla" - they use the default
configuration with two changes that I needed in order to test them
(adding CONFIG_HIGHMEM4G=y and CONFIG_SCSI_IPS=y). I compiled another
set based on the live CD config which has support for just about
everything (as modules); however I'm still testing those and will add
them to the archive later.

3) The package "xen-system" is a meta-package which should get all the
components needed to boot. However NONE of the packages make the
appropriate changes to /boot/grub/menu.lst. I was hoping for some sort
of decision from others on the best way to implement this (for
example, the "laura" version uses a modified version of grub-update)
for now I just include a sample in /usr/share/doc/xen/grub/

4) There was a typo in the package
kernel-image-2.6.11-xen0_2.0.6-1_i386.deb. There is a file called
/usr/share/doc/xen/grub/grub.menu.sample.xen_2.0.6 which has a sample
grub entry. There is an extra hypen in the "module /boot/xen-linux"
line. If anybody already grabbed that package and found that file, the
correct line should be

module /boot/xen-linux-2.6.11-ocxen0

I'll make the change, test and put up the new version soon.

--
-Yvette Chanco
www.option-c.com