Re: [Xen-users] Recompile for use as Xen host

To: Hsing-Foo Wang <hsing-foo.wang@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] Recompile for use as Xen host
From: Michael Paesold <mpaesold@xxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 12 Jun 2005 20:51:12 +0200
Cc: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Sun, 12 Jun 2005 18:50:24 +0000
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Hsing-Foo Wang wrote:
This is a nOOb question, I know, but still...

I know there are images out there, but I need to do this from scratch.

I have a CentOS3.5 server (modified) that I want to use as a Xen host. I have the kernel sources and compiling tools installed. I also have the original .config file for the CentOS machine.

I am currently trying to do the same thing, although I do not care about SMP at the moment.

According to the on-line Xen manual I can copy over the original .config file and issue: make ARCH=xen oldconfig. Then 'make dep' and 'make'. During the 'make ARCH...' command I get TONS of questions which by default are all set to no, but I do want Xen support :-) SO most of the questions I answered with 'm' (module).

For the config, I have copied the CentOS config, but then adapted it comparing the settings with the default xen0 config. Some things I have disabled from the CentOS config, because I thought they were not supported with xen (highmem, etc). I can send you my .config file off-list, but note that I have disabled most graphics/video stuff, too, because I wont use X here.

Compilations aborts because smpboot.h can not be found. The symbolic link in the asm directory is missing, so I created it pointing to the i386 directory. Then compiling still halts at:
[snip]
And here is where I am stuck. I know that smp is not 'fully' supported yet or is it? Anyway my questions are:

I am sorry I can't answer this (also new to Xen).

- Am I following the right procedure, if not please advise with more detail.
- What does the above error mean and how to resolve it?
- Is there more info on creating a e.g. CentOS3.5 Xen-0 and Xen-U kernels?
- Should I quit trying ? ;-)

I still hope this is possible. ;-)
Will keep you updated with my progress.

Best Regards,