Re: [Xen-users] system suggestion

To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] system suggestion
From: Mark Williamson <mark.williamson@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 3 Jun 2005 12:52:03 +0100
Cc: Andrew Thompson <andrewkt@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Delivery-date: Fri, 03 Jun 2005 12:50:46 +0000
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> I'm looking over a couple of used systems that I can get for less than
> 150USD. I can't seem to decide if I should splurge and get a 4x box for
> 25 dollars more than a 2x at a slightly higher clockspeed.
>
> 112952-001-B1-06      Proliant 6500 - 4xPIII Xeon500MHz/1MB, 256MB
> 100738-003-B1-06      Proliant 5500 - 2xPIIIXeon550MHz/512KB, 256MB
>
> Any suggestions?

Well...  As other people have said, it partly depends on how many domUs you're
going to run!

That said, $25 for 2 more CPUs looks pretty good to me, especially given
you're getting double the cache (which will tend to negate the MHz
difference).

Either machine will probably want a RAM upgrade if you want to have decent
memory sizes in your virtual machines but RAM is cheap, after all.

> I read that domU's will be able to see multiple processors in a later
> version of Xen. Should I go for the 4x hoping that feature will be
> supported with 32bit chips? It seems a lot of development talk I've been
> reading recently is in the 64bit arena.

Unstable will do SMP on x86 already and it's in the process of being
optimised.  3.0-stable will sport the optimised implementation.

In the meantime, if you have 3 or more domUs, you'll still be able to put
those CPUs to some good use.

Cheers,
Mark