Re: [Xen-users] system suggestion

To: Andrew Thompson <andrewkt@xxxxxxxxxxx>, xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] system suggestion
From: Mario Minati <mario@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 03 Jun 2005 09:33:22 +0200
Delivery-date: Fri, 03 Jun 2005 07:31:54 +0000
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Hi Andrew,

as allways it depends on your needs what is best for you.

If you are planning to run multiple VMMs (maybe 3 or 7 :-) on that machine I would suggest to take the 4x box, because you have more cpu power and each machine has its own cpu, on the other hand if your VMMs are going to be idle most of the time that it might be better to take the 2x one, because you have more peak cpu power. But anyhow 256MB is a bit less to run many VMMs on that machine with dom0 and 3 domU every gets 64MB, with 7 domU there will be only 32MB for each machine. And don't forget to think about energy consumtion, a 4 cpu machine like that can use *quite a bit* of electrical power, so if running 24/7 that will cost a lot, so it might be cheaper to by a newer machine. As said before, it depends on the use.

Regards,
Mario Minati

Andrew Thompson schrieb:

I'm looking over a couple of used systems that I can get for less than 150USD. I can't seem to decide if I should splurge and get a 4x box for 25 dollars more than a 2x at a slightly higher clockspeed.

112952-001-B1-06     Proliant 6500 - 4xPIII Xeon500MHz/1MB, 256MB
100738-003-B1-06     Proliant 5500 - 2xPIIIXeon550MHz/512KB, 256MB

Any suggestions?

I read that domU's will be able to see multiple processors in a later version of Xen. Should I go for the 4x hoping that feature will be supported with 32bit chips? It seems a lot of development talk I've been reading recently is in the 64bit arena.