Re: [Xen-users] Modules error

On Sun, 2005-05-15 at 20:17 +0530, Ramesh Babu wrote:
> Hi,
>
> while booting up the base hardware using Xen kernel , I get "modules"
> missing error . any way i can fix this ?
>
> /lib/modules/2.6.10-xenU/modules.dep -- not found !
>

> Also under this directory I have 2 unresolvable links ( build and
> source ) ... not sure how they got created  !!?
>
> [root@rveerach-linux1 2.6.10-xenU]# pwd
> /lib/modules/2.6.10-xenU
> [root@rveerach-linux1 2.6.10-xenU]# ls -l
> total 12
> lrwxrwxrwx  1 root root   86 May 15 19:53 build -> /auto/groups/xeno-
> xenod/users/xenod/cron-build/F17924.dir/xen-2.0.bk/linux-2.6.10-xenU
> drwxr-xr-x  6 root root 4096 May 15 19:44 kernel
> lrwxrwxrwx  1 root root   86 May 15 19:53 source -> /auto/groups/xeno-
> xenod/users/xenod/cron-build/F17924.dir/xen-2.0.bk/linux-2.6.10-xenU
> [root@rveerach-linux1 2.6.10-xenU]#
>
> Help me in resolving these errors !
<snip>
I, too, found this a little confusing at first.  I think the Xen
documentation is very good but it is such a huge subject that it leaves
much to be explored on our own! It took me while to figure out what was
going on with the kernels and modules.  In fact, I'm still trying to
figure it out :-)

I believe that one needs to copy in the /lib/modules/<kernel version>
directory on the partition in which you originally built or installed
Xen for the kernel you are using in your unprivileged domain into
the /lib/modules directory of you unprivileged domain.

For example, on my test bed, my dom0 has it's root partition
on /dev/VG1/Xen0.  I built Xen in /download/xen-2.0 on my dom0 root
partition.  If I build a domU with a root partition on /dev/VG1/test1-
root, before I create domU, I can mount /dev/VG1/test1-root at /mnt and

cp -r /lib/modules/2.6.10-xenU /mnt/lib/modules/

Just as the /lib/modules/<kernel version> directories sometimes have
links back to regular kernels, e.g., in /usr/src/linux, so these modules
directories seem to have links back to the place where the xenU kernels
were built.  Going back to my example, in /download/xen-2.0, I have
directories such as linux-2.6.10-xen0 and linux-2.6.10-xenU.  The
symbolic links build and source link back to these directories.  Thus,
in my case, I created a /download/xen-2.0 directory and did (while the
domU root was mounted at /mnt)

cp -r /download/xen-2.0/linux-2.6.10-xenU /mnt/download/xen-2.0/

That solved my symbolic link problem.  I suppose I could have copied the
linux-2.6.10-xenU directory anywhere in /mnt and recreated the links.

I'm brand new at Xen so, if I am wrong, please someone correct me.  But
that is how I handled everything.  Good luck - John
--
John A. Sullivan III
Open Source Development Corporation

If you would like to participate in the development of an open source
enterprise class network security management system, please visit
http://iscs.sourceforge.net