xen-ppc-devel

Re: [XenPPC] Re: 2 questions of creating domU

To: Hao Yu <yuh@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [XenPPC] Re: 2 questions of creating domU
From: Hao Yu <yuh@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 26 Oct 2006 01:00:07 -0400
Cc: Edi Shmueli <shedi@xxxxxxxxxx>, Jimi Xenidis <jimix@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, David M Daly <dmdaly@xxxxxxxxxx>, Doron Shiloach <doron@xxxxxxxxxx>, Robert W Wisniewski <bob@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, XenPPC-devel <xen-ppc-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Maria Butrico <butrico@xxxxxxxxxx>, Dilma M Da silva <dilmasilva@xxxxxxxxxx>, Jose Moreira <jmoreira@xxxxxxxxxx>, Amos P Waterland <awaterl@xxxxxxxxxx>
Delivery-date: Thu, 26 Oct 2006 07:05:33 -0700
Sender: xen-ppc-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Hi Jimi,

After the observation mentioned in my previous message, I just realized one
observation we had just made sense . Last morning, together with Yi, we
used a vif line as
vif=[ 'mac=00:16:3E:F9:BB:B3, bridge=xenbr1' ]
to start domU. Using tcpdump, we observed vif1.0 is sending DHCP requests,
so as xenbr1. But no request comes out of eth1 or eth0, and there is no
request received at the DHCP server.

I wonder if these observations get closer. Just putting up some info.

Regards,
Hao

Hao Yu

Commercial Scale Out
IBM T.J. Watson Research Center
1101 Kitchawan Rd/Route 134, Rm 36-019
Yorktown Heights, NY 10598-0218
914-945-1854, Email: yuh@xxxxxxxxxx

             Hao Yu/Watson/IBM

             AM                        Hao Yu/Watson/IBM@IBMUS
                                                                        cc
                                       Amos P Waterland/Austin/IBM@IBMUS,
                                       Robert W Wisniewski
                                       <bob@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, David M
                                       Daly/Watson/IBM@IBMUS, Dilma M Da
                                       silva/Watson/IBM@IBMUS, Doron
                                       Shiloach/Watson/IBM@IBMUS, Edi
                                       Shmueli/Watson/IBM@IBMUS, Jimi
                                       Xenidis <jimix@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>,
                                       Jose Moreira/Watson/IBM@IBMUS,
                                       Maria Butrico/Watson/IBM@IBMUS,
                                       XenPPC-devel
                                       <xen-ppc-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
                                                                   Subject
                                       Re: [XenPPC] Re: 2 questions of
                                       creating domU(Document link: Hao
                                       Yu)

Hi Jimi, Amos,

I checked a bit on the xend related scripts and found out that the message
in xend-debug.log : set stp status failed: Operation not supported , come
from

xend
   /etc/xen/scripts/network-bridge : 203
      /etc/xen/scripts/xen-network-common.sh : 115 ---> executing "brctl
      stp xenbr1 off"

It seems 'stp' related functionalities in brctl is not implemented or
supported ? 'brctl showstp xenbr1' also gives 'operation not supported'
message. Reading a bit about 'stp', it seems not fundamental for the
bridging to work, not sure if it is necessary for xen.

Regards,
Hao

Hao Yu

Commercial Scale Out
IBM T.J. Watson Research Center
1101 Kitchawan Rd/Route 134, Rm 36-019
Yorktown Heights, NY 10598-0218
914-945-1854, Email: yuh@xxxxxxxxxx

             Hao Yu/Watson/IBM

             PM                        Jimi Xenidis
                                       <jimix@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Amos P
                                       Waterland/Austin/IBM
                                                                        cc
                                       Shmueli/Watson/IBM@IBMUS, Jose
                                       Moreira/Watson/IBM@IBMUS, Maria
                                       Butrico/Watson/IBM@IBMUS,
                                       XenPPC-devel
                                       <xen-ppc-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
                                                                   Subject
                                       Re: [XenPPC] Re: 2 questions of
                                       creating domU(Document link: Hao
                                       Yu)

Hi Jimi, Amos,

The problem of 'domU network up' has not been solved. Today, we learned a
few things with help from Amos and Yi.

   The problem should be in the simplified init script, which did not bring
   up the vif . There are two indirect proof for this speculation:
      Here is the complete console message of booting Dom0. At the end, it
      says various virtual devices are not brought up (unused) (See
      attached file: cso83-boot-msgs-2006-10-25)
      when first time issue 'xend start' after Dom0 is booted, there is a
      message in /var/log/xen/xend-debug.log : set stp status failed:
      Operation not supported
   Yi encountered the same problem this morning, using the same ramdisk as
   Jimi's (we assume).

I attach the xend.log info here if you can recognize some problem here.
   xm create output: Error: Device 0 (vif) could not be connected. Backend
   device not found.
   output from 'XEND_DEBUG=1 xend start' : (See attached file: xend-msg2)
   configuration file: (See attached file: conf2)

In the meanwhile, we will see if we can quickly try an environment that is
close to what Jimi has.

Regards,
Hao

Hao Yu

Commercial Scale Out
IBM T.J. Watson Research Center
1101 Kitchawan Rd/Route 134, Rm 36-019
Yorktown Heights, NY 10598-0218
914-945-1854, Email: yuh@xxxxxxxxxx

             Jimi Xenidis
             <jimix@xxxxxxxxxx
                                       Hao Yu/Watson/IBM@IBMUS
             10/25/2006 10:38                                           cc
             AM                        Edi Shmueli/Watson/IBM@IBMUS, David
                                       M Daly/Watson/IBM@IBMUS, Doron
                                       Shiloach/Watson/IBM@IBMUS, Robert W

On Oct 25, 2006, at 8:10 AM, Hao Yu wrote:

> Jimi,
>
> Thanks to David who put matched xen tools in the xen/linux image,
> which
> solves the problem of memory configuration.

Thats good.

> I still can not set IP address from dhcp. For convenience, I post the
> configuration file here (See attached file: hao_edi_config); ifconfig
> output of dom0 after 'xend' started: (See attached file:
> ifconfig.out) ;
> and error message : "Error: Device 0 (vif) could not be connected.
> Backend
> device not found."
>
> I wonder if there is other environment setting we need to follow ? lib
> path, command path ?

this just works in my local disk environment and I'm pretty sure othe
local disk environments work as well.
Hollis, Tony are you able to create domain that have net access?

I have to say that this Linux/XM device config is not really my
current expertise, someone has to figure it out and know it.  I'll
try when I get some time unless someone else get to it first, until
then please be our expert :)

This may be a good question for <xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> proper.

-JX