xen-ppc-devel

Re: Hang on boot Was: [XenPPC] [xenppc-unstable] [POWERPC][XEN] Detect b

To: Segher Boessenkool <segher@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: Hang on boot Was: [XenPPC] [xenppc-unstable] [POWERPC][XEN] Detect bad spurious interrupt condition and panic instead of hang
From: Tony Breeds <tony@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 14 Sep 2006 17:11:54 +1000
Cc: Jimi Xenidis <jimix@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, xen-ppc-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Thu, 14 Sep 2006 00:12:28 -0700
Sender: xen-ppc-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
On Tue, Sep 12, 2006 at 06:00:17PM +0200, Segher Boessenkool wrote:
> >Sometimes when Xen is booted and we let Linux init the MPIC for
> >"the second time" Xen could end up in a loop where the CPU is
> >constantly being interrupted by the MPIC.
> >
> >Because of console buffering, the last message you see is some
> >message from early kernel boot.
> >Anyway.. we detect this now and you see a panic.
>
> There seems to be a problem with the U3/U4 MPIC, where edge-
> triggered interrupts are delivered to more than one CPU.  Every
> CPU other than the one that ACKed it first, will get the spurious
> vector (so functionally, the impact of this bug isn't that bad;
> performance-wise it might be different).
>
> The UART IRQ [on JS2x and Maple] is an edge IRQ; if you produce
> console output for every spurious interrupt, you'll get a nice
> little storm.  Is that what's happening?
>
> >Yes, I believe, it has something to do with temperature.
>
> Interesting observation, never thought of investigating that --
> it's in line with my suspicion that something in the MPIC is
> metastable though.

I don't know if this is realted or something else but I just got:
---
*** 0000 : Setup Done
[boot]0015 Setup Done
Built 1 zonelists.  Total pages: 49152
Kernel command line: root=/dev/hda3 ro sysrq=1
Sharing PIC with Xen -> maple_init_IRQ
<6>mpic: Setting up MPIC "U3-MPIC" version 1.2 at f8040000, max 4 CPUs
mpic: ISU size: 124, shift: 7, mask: 7f
mpic: Initializing for 124 sources
mpic: Setting up HT PICs workarounds for U3/U4
mpic:   - HT:01.0 [0xb8] vendor 1022 device 7450 has 4 irqs
mpic:   - HT:02.0 [0xb8] vendor 1022 device 7450 has 4 irqs
mpic:   - HT:03.0 [0xf0] vendor 1022 device 7460 has 24 irqs
(XEN)
(XEN) ****************************************
(XEN) Panic on CPU 0:
(XEN) Too many (100) spurrious interrupts in a row
(XEN)   Known problem, please halt and let machine idle/cool   then reboot
(XEN)
(XEN) Reboot in five seconds...
---

on my JS20, rebooting cleared the error.

Yours Tony

   linux.conf.au       http://linux.conf.au/ || http://lca2007.linux.org.au/
   Jan 15-20 2007      The Australian Linux Technical Conference!