xen-ppc-devel

[XenPPC] Re: HTAB: What I forgot about XenPPC managment

On Aug 14, 2006, at 1:20 PM, Hollis Blanchard wrote:

On Sun, 2006-08-13 at 13:55 -0400, Jimi Xenidis wrote:
We need to manage the domain's htab. Ithink we need the following:
   - an htab_size variable in the domain script, default being 1/64th
of memory.
   - a Dom0 Op to specify the size when we create a domain
   - devtree entry, should we reuse the PAPR property like we
currently do or add our own in /xen? I say we add.

When you say "manage", do you mean you think the hash table size should
be user-controllable?

Dom0-manager-controllable, yes.
Currently we allocate the htab as part of creation, unfortunately that is before we know how much memory beyond the RMA we will give the domain. I think the easiest thing to do is to explicitly specify the htab "order" size using a dom0 op from the management side, for now the default (yet XM/xend/libx specified is fine). this will result in Xen calling htab_alloc() with the right order.

Is this something we need to worry about in the
near future, or a nice-to-have?

It is not necessary until we give memory beyond RMA, which will is the next step IMHO after we find all of memory.

What is "nice-to-have" is the ability for the domain-script to override the default.
-JX