xen-ppc-devel

Re: [XenPPC] Booting Dom0 with SLES10 on JS21

On Jul 11, 2006, at 2:02 PM, poff wrote:
When ramdisk is included, Dom0 is loaded as 32-bit.
I'm not sure which way is correct, but 32-bit seems to work better.

Both is fine, it depends if you need a ramdisk or not to actually complete the boot.
For out purposes:
  vmlinux = 64bit ELF
  vmlinux.strip = strip version of vmlinux
zImage = 32bit ELF small executable that contains a compressed version of vmlinux.strip in the data segment. The 32bit executable then uncompresses the vmlinux.strip and leaps at it. zImage.initrd = a zImage that also contains a ramdisk as well as the vmlinux.strip

The xen code that loads a Dom0 can be any of the above images.
If you want a ramdisk the only option you have is zImage.initrd

For completeness:
  vmlinuz = vmlinux.strip that is compressed

is _not loadable from Xen and usually used by yaboot.
-JX