xen-merge

Re: [Xen-merge] massive changes

Hi,

On Wed, 2006-01-11 at 18:25 +0100, Jan Beulich wrote:

> The underlying problem is that in order to use the Xen changes in
> SLES10, we need to have them in patch form. That means we need to have
> a way to generate one or more patches that collectively represent
> exactly the changes Xen does on top of kernel.org. To generate such a
> patch it would be very helpful to have precise knowledge on the
> underlying kernel.org tree;

That knowledge is already there in the linux-2.6-merge.hg tree.

That tree is based off the linux-2.6.hg mercurial tree that gets
mirrored from the master git repository (the hg tree is at
http://www.kernel.org/hg/linux-2.6/ if you want to track it.)  To move
to a newer 2.6 base, that upstream 2.6 hg tree just gets pulled into the
-merge tree.  So all of the changesets from upstream are already there
in the -merge tree.

Looking at the -merge tree from a pull just a moment ago,  the top
changesets I can see are:

2 merge changesets bringing xen-unstable fixes into -merge
3 fixes from -unstable
2 merge changesets bringing in the linux-2.6.hg upstream tree

then this one:

        changeset:   18601:c90267e4a29b47d40fa4cb968be75670c8cdb703
        parent:      18579:7897f5a689c4c91cb6c4b7e99f7f723a224f6310
        parent:      18600:367dadf1afbca21e0bd27af57f17d5e60c348318
        user:        Linus Torvalds <torvalds@xxxxxxxxxxx>
        date:        Wed Jan 11 13:31:24 2006 +0800
        files:
        Merge
        master.kernel.org:/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/kyle/parisc-2.6

which is a genuine upstream cset from the 2.6 main hg tree.  If you hg
clone the 2.6 tree, you'll be able to find the cset with that hash in
there (though with a different hg cset number: the number on the left of
the ":" in the changeset ID is the sequence number that's local to this
repository, but the hash on the RHS is a unique ID for the changeset
that should be constant whatever repository the cset gets pulled into.)

So, after finding the most recent upstream 2.6 cset in the -merge tree,
it's trivial to generate a Xen diff against that; in this case it was
cset number 18601 so:

        $ hg diff -r 18601 -r tip > /tmp/linux-2.6-merge.patch

will do it for you.

Of course, that gives you a patch against a very specific upstream
revision, but in general I've found that any conflicts if you apply it
to a different relatively-recent kernel base are usually pretty minor
and easy to resolve.

--Stephen