xen-merge

Re: [Xen-merge] i386 subarch

* Martin J. Bligh (mbligh@xxxxxxxxxx) wrote:
> > Much of the duplication is just how Xen has been developed.  The
> > Makefiles show where there's pure dup, and the sparse tree shows you
> > what's actually changed.
> >
> >> So what do we want to do? Break it up by filename, and see if we
> >> can get several people to clean up a few files each? Tis a fair
> >> amount of work to do. Will help if we can get the patch to as small
> >> as possible, and show as little duplication as possible to miminize
> >> ongoing maintainance for everyone (including, but not limited to
> >> the Xen people).
> >
> > I think that's the best way to go forward.  I'd like to get it to a
> > point where the patch is minimal before we start breaking down the dups.
>
> OK, I'll start whacking on some of those C files, and see if I can
> break them apart. Will take it down by function first, then we can
> go finer-grained than that later, but functions should break the back
> of it, I think.

The next snapshot should have basically only sparse tree files in
mach-xen/.  Moving functions alone can get a bit messy because there's
some dependency with the other subarches.  May be good enough for first
pass to just get subarch with only spars files (at which point we could
commit to Xen tree).  The further breakdown could then happen
in-tree...at least that's my current thinking.

thanks,
-chris