RE: [Xen-ia64-devel] revisit _OSI optimizations?

To: "Isaku Yamahata" <yamahata@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "Alex Williamson" <alex.williamson@xxxxxx>
Subject: RE: [Xen-ia64-devel] revisit _OSI optimizations?
From: "Zhang, Xing Z" <xing.z.zhang@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 21 Nov 2007 11:15:38 +0800
Cc: xen-ia64-devel <xen-ia64-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Delivery-date: Tue, 20 Nov 2007 19:16:08 -0800
Sender: xen-ia64-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
>> config option in the domain spec file.  If a user wants to
>tune for
>> performance, they can add a config option, but the default
>must work
>> correctly, if not 100% optimal for all guests.  Are there other
>ideas or
>> objections?  Anyone want to volunteer to take on this task?
>Thanks,
>
>Just ideas.
>
>- enhance GFW to set guest os type.
>  Then a user set os type in startup.nsh or somehow.

Current GFW support NVRAM, so startup.nsh may not be used by user.

>- enhance (guest) elilo. something like 'xen-ostype=linux'.
>  Then elilo issues hypercall.

Windows use its tool named nvrboot.efi so I think this method
can not work on it.

>- rely on PV-on-HVM driver
>  PV-on-HVM driver issues hypercall.
>
>>From the viewpoint of maintenance, enhancing domain builder
>seems
>the best.
>On the other hand, enhancing domain builder isn't flexible. It
>ties
>domain configuration to guest os type. But I'm not sure whether
>users
>want such flexibility.

User may feel un-convenient if they use configure script, but the GUI
management tool could make things easy(seems RHEL5.1 has this tool).