[Xen-ia64-devel] revisit _OSI optimizations?

To: xen-ia64-devel <xen-ia64-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Xen-ia64-devel] revisit _OSI optimizations?
From: Alex Williamson <alex.williamson@xxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 20 Nov 2007 11:00:52 -0700
Delivery-date: Tue, 20 Nov 2007 10:01:43 -0800
Sender: xen-ia64-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
   I'm becoming more concerned about our use of _OSI to detect the guest
OS type for optimizations.  I know this is an idea that I originally
proposed, but it seems to be falling apart on newer upstream Linux
kernels.  To get an upstream kernel working correctly on Xen/ia64 HVM,
it has to be booted with acpi_osi=Linux.  I'm not convinced the patches
I sent out to make this happen automatically will make it upstream and
even if they do, we have a gap in Linux doing the right thing
automatically.

   What are our alternatives?  I'm afraid any attempt to detect the
guest OS type will lead to similar problems as _OSI in the future.  As
this is a performance optimization, I'm leaning towards the need for a
config option in the domain spec file.  If a user wants to tune for
performance, they can add a config option, but the default must work
correctly, if not 100% optimal for all guests.  Are there other ideas or
objections?  Anyone want to volunteer to take on this task?  Thanks,

        Alex

--
Alex Williamson                             HP Open Source & Linux Org.