RE: [Xen-ia64-devel] E100 emulator is ready

To: "Alex Williamson" <alex.williamson@xxxxxx>
Subject: RE: [Xen-ia64-devel] E100 emulator is ready
From: "Zhang, Xing Z" <xing.z.zhang@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 19 Nov 2007 10:39:09 +0800
Cc: xen-ia64-devel <xen-ia64-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Delivery-date: Sun, 18 Nov 2007 18:43:14 -0800
Sender: xen-ia64-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

>On Wed, 2007-11-14 at 17:03 +0800, Zhang, Xing Z wrote:
>> Hi All:
>>      I am sorry I spent so long a time on E100 emulator, you know,
>windows
>> is really hard to debug. Anyway it working now, and seems
>performs
>> better than rtl8139.
>>      The attachment is the patch enable E100 in XEN. Hope you
>can try it
>> on your box to see if everything is ok.
>>      Some codes of this emulator are from old eepro100
>implementation in
>> QEMU. Thanks Stefan Weil. Also thanks Kouya share his windbg
>script
>> with me, it helps me a lot.
>
>Hi Wing,
>
>   Great work!  It would be really good if we could get this
>into
>upstream for 3.2.  It will of course need to get submitted via
>xen-devel
>for that to happen.  We've past 3.2 feature freeze, but I hope
>that
>since this is completely self contained and fits into the
>existing
>device structure, that it will be considered.
Yes, it's self contained. There is just a new E100.c file and little enabling
code in pci.c and Makefile.target. And it quite fits current device model
framework.

>   What's the lineage of this driver?  It looks quite a bit
>different
>than the code in Qemu CVS.  Is it a fork of the driver there?
>Is there
>another external source control with newer revisions?  It might
>help
>getting it into upstream if we know where it comes from and why
>it's
>different than Qemu.  Thanks!
Oh, I don't know how current QEMU's eepro100 looks like. Tristan sent an
attachment which is original version of eepro100 implementation of QEMU one
year ago. In the beginning, I want to fix that code to make IA64 work. After
few days attempt, I found there are too much bugs to fix so that I gave it up
and re-write a new one.
This version has some codes copied from the old one. Maybe we can consider it
as offspring of QEMU's, since it has no relation with QEMU CVS version.