RE: [Xen-ia64-devel][Patch]Add two PAL calls which fix SMP windowsinstal

To: "Alex Williamson" <alex.williamson@xxxxxx>
Subject: RE: [Xen-ia64-devel][Patch]Add two PAL calls which fix SMP windowsinstallation crashing bug
From: "Zhang, Xing Z" <xing.z.zhang@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 28 Mar 2007 10:00:24 +0800
Cc: xen-ia64-devel <xen-ia64-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Delivery-date: Tue, 27 Mar 2007 18:59:27 -0700
Sender: xen-ia64-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Hi Alex:
        Pls see my comments.

>   This seems incomplete.  Doesn't a PAL_LOGICAL_TO_PHYSICAL
>implementation imply we also need a working SAL_PHYSICAL_ID_INFO?  I
>also get error messages about unimplemented PAL call #43
>(PAL_CACHE_SHARED_INFO) when I try this.  According to the spec, this
>call is required for any system reporting more than one logical
>processor on a physical processor package.

Yes, we need implement these PAL calls and SAL calls. Due to the two PAL calls
-- PAL_LOGICAL_TO_PHSICAL and PAL_FIX_ADDR emergently fix SMP windows
installation crashing bug, so I sent out it firstly. Other PALL calls patch
which in need will be sent out later.

>   I think we should implement these calls, but why would we represent a
>vCPU as anything more than a single processor per socket?  If we pretend
>everything is a dual core processor with threads disabled, we get into
>issues of reporting the correct socket number and thread number.  It
>feels like it's just adding complication for no benefit.  Thanks,

Actually, we also represent a vcpu as single core single thread at beginning.
But it's very strange that windows still crash during SMP installation. So we
implement it as native Montecito which has dual core. Maybe more investigations
need.

Good good study,day day up ! ^_^
-Wing(zhang xin)

OTC,Intel Corporation