Re: [Xen-ia64-devel] [patch] make Xen assign meta-physical memory in spa

To: Jes Sorensen <jes@xxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-ia64-devel] [patch] make Xen assign meta-physical memory in spaces that match real hardware
From: Isaku Yamahata <yamahata@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 22 Dec 2006 11:22:13 +0900
Cc: xen-ia64-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Thu, 21 Dec 2006 18:22:18 -0800
Sender: xen-ia64-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Hi Jes.

On Thu, Dec 21, 2006 at 03:42:37PM +0100, Jes Sorensen wrote:
> This is an initial patch to make Xen start assigning meta physical
> memory in the physical ranges that match the hardware it is running
> upon.

It seems that you and I are attacking the same issues from
the different directions.
Your motivation is NUMA and mine is pci-access and driver domain.
Could you check/test my patches?
(Thanks Akio for pointint it out.)

> More work needs to be done in this area, but it is crucial we assign
> memory correctly, in particular for dom0.

As the patch comment says interim, so you may already aware of it...
complete_dom0_memmap() is for only dom0.
libxc/xc_linux_build.c does it for domU.

I considered about domU case a little.
What do you think about the followings?
Basically there are two approaches for domU.
i.e.
- xen vmm itself arranges memory for domU
v.s.
- user land tools(libxc/xc_linux_build.c) does.
It seems that xen/x86 adopted libxc apporach so that the latter
would be appropriate for xen/ia64.

Thanks.
--
yamahata