Re: [Xen-ia64-devel] Modify to introduce delayed p2m table destruction

To: Doi.Tsunehisa@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Xen-ia64-devel] Modify to introduce delayed p2m table destruction
From: Isaku Yamahata <yamahata@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 2 Nov 2006 21:58:32 +0900
Cc: xen-ia64-devel <xen-ia64-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Delivery-date: Thu, 02 Nov 2006 13:40:02 -0800
Sender: xen-ia64-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
On Thu, Nov 02, 2006 at 07:55:53PM +0900, Doi.Tsunehisa@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
> You (yamahata) said:
> > Some comments.
> > - Probably IA64 specific code paths assume that if the p2m conversion
> >   gives valid mfn, then the page isn't free.
> >   Your patch breaks it. I haven't check it though.
>
>   In our investigation, the domain is paused at domain_kill phase, thus
> it don't occur the issue, and x86 code had introduced same logic.

Although all vcpus of the domain are paused,
how about another domain's vcpu?
It might be possible for another domain's vcpu to modify
the p2m table.

And one more comment.
- your patch breaks page reference convension.

> > - Why shadow prefix? it isn't related to shadow.
>
>   In IA64 code, it doesn't have shadow page table, but it regards
> that it has shadow mode, I think. Thus I adopted shadow prefix to
> follow other arch.

Shadow prefix is confusing here. (At least for me)

--
yamahata