RE: [Xen-ia64-devel] RFC: adding a dom0_firmware_setup hypercall

To: "Tristan Gingold" <Tristan.Gingold@xxxxxxxx>, <xen-ia64-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: RE: [Xen-ia64-devel] RFC: adding a dom0_firmware_setup hypercall
From: "Tian, Kevin" <kevin.tian@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 30 May 2006 22:42:05 +0800
Delivery-date: Tue, 30 May 2006 07:42:38 -0700
Sender: xen-ia64-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Good.

>>      - Why is it the first step toward save&restore?
>Currently, SETVPUCONTEXT has side effects: initializing the domain.
>SETVPUCONTEXT has to be used during restore to set all VCPUs.  If it
>also
>initialize the domain (ie, set the firmware), bad things may happen.

I think SETVCPUCONTEXT is the standard interface either for domain
creation or restore, and some special things are only required to be done
for vcpu 0. Actually debugger also utilizes SETVCPUCONTEXT to update
the modified context of target vcpu. If, the code for ia64 version
SETVCPUCONTEXT is not ready for some reason, I think we should try
to fix arch_set_info_guest first.

>> Based on those information, people can better understand your
>> proposal and thus give appropriate comments.
>>
>> BTW, why can't those new fields (or whole firmware setup structure) be
>> put in vcpu_guest_context without adding a new dom0_op?
>For the above reason.
>I think vcpu_guest_context should only modify the vcpu, not the domain.

Vcpu 0 is special to take responsibility of initializing some domain wise
content.

Thanks,
Kevin