RE: [Xen-ia64-devel] "-Wall" option doesn't work

To: "Tristan Gingold" <Tristan.Gingold@xxxxxxxx>, "Xu, Anthony" <anthony.xu@xxxxxxxxx>, <xen-ia64-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: RE: [Xen-ia64-devel] "-Wall" option doesn't work
From: "Magenheimer, Dan (HP Labs Fort Collins)" <dan.magenheimer@xxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 19 Jan 2006 14:06:56 -0800
Delivery-date: Thu, 19 Jan 2006 22:15:30 +0000
Sender: xen-ia64-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> The first one was very big (140KB) and Dan rejected it almost
> for this reason.
>
> The second one was rather small (4KB) and fixed the most
> boring warnings (the
> most obvious and those in .h files which appear in every
> file). It was not
> accepted (without explaination).
>
> I am not sure Dan is interested in warnings.

I forgot to discuss this at the summit.   Kevin is correct that I
didn't accept the large 140KB patch because it changed so many
files, including many linux and linux-xen files, at a time when
the tree was not very stable.  I do agree that removing warnings
is a good idea as they often hide real bugs.  However sometimes
fixing them requires changes that might introduce new bugs.

I had intended to commit the smaller patch some time ago, but
forgot.   I committed it after Tristan resubmitted it.

Now that -Wall is on and the tree is fairly stable, it might
be a good time to fix more warnings, especially in the xen
and vmx directories.  I would like to hold patches that fix
warnings in the arch/ia64/linux and arch/ia64/linux-xen directories
until we rebase to 2.6.15.

Thanks,
Dan