Re: [Xen-ia64-devel] Community effort neededtocatch upwithxen-unstable

To: "Tian, Kevin" <kevin.tian@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-ia64-devel] Community effort neededtocatch upwithxen-unstable
From: John Byrne <john.l.byrne@xxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 01 Sep 2005 19:32:27 -0700
Cc: xen-ia64-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Fri, 02 Sep 2005 02:30:15 +0000
Sender: xen-ia64-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
From: John Byrne [mailto:john.l.byrne@xxxxxx]

I'm still having problems when it gets to the login prompt, but they're
different. I'll look into it. I'm fine with getting rid of the #ifdefs.
(Assuming I'm not about to find some reason for them.) Because I had
mercurial problems, I first tried things with Dan's 2.6.13 merge and
trying to start a guest didn't work at all. I don't know what the
problem is.

Where did the error happen? Boot xen0, or xenU? I didn't try latest
xen-ia64-unstable.hg yet and it's reasonable to me that new errors will
always jump out after big changes though 99.99% harmless. ;-)

Thanks,
Kevins

I think the problem is that your latest patch plops the store page in the middle of kernel memory and nothing prevents the kernel from using it. In x86, this is handled by allocating the xenstore and console pages immediately after the kernel and then setting the pt_base parameter so that they are never used. I'm not sure about this, but I don't see anything keeping from using it.

I'm off for the night.

John