RE: [Xen-ia64-devel] Done with the compilation, a few questions remain

To: "Ricardo A Staudt" <ricardost@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <xen-ia64-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: RE: [Xen-ia64-devel] Done with the compilation, a few questions remain
From: "Tian, Kevin" <kevin.tian@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 4 Jun 2005 11:12:11 +0800
Delivery-date: Sat, 04 Jun 2005 03:11:33 +0000
Sender: xen-ia64-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
>From: xen-ia64-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Ricardo A
>Staudt
>Sent: Saturday, June 04, 2005 6:47 AM
>
>1) We haven't really tested it but is it possible to compile the Xen
>kernel with 32bit software support? There are some regular Linux
>32bit-only apps that we ran on ia64 with the common ia64 kernel but not
>with Xen's the way we regularly build it.

Now answer is no. The preferred way is to run 32bit software on top of
ia32el (Intel IA32 Execution Layer). Actually Redhat EL4 already removes
CONFIG_IA32_SUPPORT, without dependency upon hardware support for ia32
instructions. If you follow this trend, it eliminates efforts to add
that specific virtualization within HV.

>2) For some reason, when the Xen kernel is booted, no system message is
>displayed at all. When it starts booting we get the Penguin and no text
>then, after a while, we get the login prompt, same thing we any other
>system message. All other distribution kernels we used worked well, we
>suppose it has to do with the system log output (aiming at the serial
or
>some other place) or something.

Since you can boot to prompt, the problem should rely on your command
line. Currently XEN/IA64 is only validated on the serial console.
Recently some change is made to enable boot parameter on XEN/IA64, due
to serial re-org by Keir. You may pull the latest bk and see whether
your problem goes away. :-)

Thanks,
Kevin