[Xen-devel] Re: [Pkg-xen-devel] xen 4.1 blktap2 support

(adding xen-devel)

On Thu, 2011-04-28 at 13:45 +0200, Niccolò Belli wrote:
> Here is my issue with xl:
>
> Unknown tapdisk type: tapdisk
>
> 'tap2:tapdisk:aio:/srv/xen/niko.img,xvda,w',
>
> blktap is loaded, kernel is 2.6.32-xen from squeeze.

The syntax understood by xl is documented in
docs/misc/xl-disk-configuration.txt. It is intended that it supports all
the useful syntaxes which xend did, although since the xend syntax was
never really specified it is perhaps not complete or correct.

I use 'tap:vhd:/scratch/debian-x86_32-2.vhd,xvda,w' and that works, if
you aren't using vhd I'd expect replacing the 'vhd:' with 'qcow:',
'qcow2:' or 'raw:' etc to work. (nb: xl makes no distinction between tap
and tap2 -- you always get tapdisk2). The 'aio:' is ignored by xl (it's
always on) but you can retain it for compatibility with xend if you
like.

xl-disk-configuration.txt mentions the 'tapdisk:' syntax but I don't see
it actually implemented in xl, it would probably be a nop in any case
(since tap: is sufficient to get the behaviour it specifies), in your
case it would be overridden by the 'aio:' anyway AFAICT. There is
ongoing work to improve xl's handling of the disk cfg syntax.

Ian.

--
Ian Campbell

I am currently transitioning to a new OpenPGP key, please see:
http://www.hellion.org.uk/key-transition-2011-04-27-2F6BCD59-to-79074FA8.txt

Reporter (to Mahatma Gandhi): Mr Gandhi, what do you think of Western
        Civilization?
Gandhi: I think it would be a good idea.