[Xen-devel] kernel BUG at arch/x86/xen/mmu.c:1872

(Please ignore my last mail, sent by type..)

Hi Konrad & Jeremy:

     I'd like to open this BUG in a new thread, since the old thread is too long for easy read.

     We recently want to upgrade our kernel to 2.6.32, but unfortunately, we confront a kernel crash bug.
Our test case is simple, start 24 win2003 HVMS on our physical machine, and each HVM reboot
every 15minutes. The kernel will crash in half an hour.(That is crash on VM second starts).

Our test go much further.
We test different kernel version.
2.6.32.10  http://git.kernel.org/?p=linux/kernel/git/jeremy/xen.git;a=commit;h=d945b014ac5df9592c478bf9486d97e8914aab59
2.6.32.11  http://git.kernel.org/?p=linux/kernel/git/jeremy/xen.git;a=commit;h=27f948a3bf365a5bc3d56119637a177d41147815
2.6.32.12  http://git.kernel.org/?p=linux/kernel/git/jeremy/xen.git;a=commit;h=ba739f9 abd3f659b907a824af1161926b420a2ce
2.6.32.13  http://git.kernel.org/?p=linux/kernel/git/jeremy/xen.git;a=commit;h=f6fe6583b77a49b569eef1b66c3d761eec2e561b
2.6.32.15  http://git.kernel.org/?p=linux/kernel/git/jeremy/xen.git;a=commit;h=27ed1b0e0dae5f1d5da5c76451bc84cb529128bd
2.6.32.21  http://git.kernel.org/?p=linux/kernel/git/jeremy/xen.git;a=commit;h=69e50db231723596ed8ef9275d0068d6697f466a

There are basic three different result we met.

i1) grant table issue
The host still function, but use xm  dmesg, we have abnormal log.
please refer to the attched log of grant table

i2) kernel crash on a different place.
Host die during the test, after reboot, we can see nothing abnormal in /var/log/messages

i3) kernel BUG at arch/x86/xen/mmu.c:1872;
Host die during the test, after reboot, we see the crash log in messages, refer to the attached log of 2.6.32.36
Summary of the test result, can be classified in two:

1) 2.6.32.10
30 machines involved the test, and three has issue (i1), and two has issue (i2), *no* issue (i3)
Other machines run tests successfully till now, more than 8 hours

2)2.6.32.11 or later version.
Each version containers 10 machine for tests, and all machine crashed in less than half an hour.

Conclusion:
1) grant table issue exists in all kernel version
2) kernerl crash at different place may exist in all kernel versions, but not happen so frequently, 2 out of 30
3) We observe the major difference of issue i3), from the test, it looks like it is introduced between the version
2.6.32.10 and 2.6.32.11.

Hope this help to locate the bug.
Many thanks.