Re: [Xen-devel] Dom0 lockup

To: Daniel Mathew <danieljmathew@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-devel] Dom0 lockup
From: Konrad Rzeszutek Wilk <konrad.wilk@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 11 Jan 2011 11:48:39 -0500
Cc: xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Tue, 11 Jan 2011 08:50:39 -0800
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
On Thu, Jan 06, 2011 at 01:02:27PM +0530, Daniel Mathew wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have been doing some development on HVM. I am passing data between dom0
> and an HVM domU in chunks of 256K in a ring buffer, similar to what the
> console does. A few seconds after starting domU, dom0 locks up; even the

Can you try to limit the guest and the domU to only use one CPU each?
And pin them? It might be that you are missing a couple of memory barriers
and you get your producer/consumer indexes out of sync?

> SysRq keys don't work. For debugging purposes, I have inserted some printk's
> in the hvmemul_read_io function that handles I/O in HVM mode. Prior to

Does the hypervisor serial console work? If so, you can make it print where
the guest or the Dom0 are stuck (it will only give you the eip, and a jumble
of stack, but you should be able to find where what those addresses correspond
to).