RE: Re: [Xen-devel] Balloon driver for Linux/HVM

Hi Daniel --

If I am not misunderstanding, memory hotplug (whether it works in
an HVM guest or not) doesn't solve Chu's issue because memory hotplug
either: (1) requires operator intervention or (2) creates denial-of-service
conditions such as a guest maliciously hot-plugging as much memory
as it can.

Chu's stated issue is that ballooning is not responsive enough when
memory demand increases unexpectedly.  Since future memory demand
can never be accurately predicted (only poorly guessed), some
compensating mechanism must be in place to handle the poorly predicted
cases.  That's essentially what tmem is good for.

Dan