Re: [Xen-devel] Re: DomU lockups after resume from S3 on Core i5 process

>>> On 06.07.10 at 10:59, Joanna Rutkowska <joanna@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>>> wrote:
> On 07/06/10 10:41, Jan Beulich wrote:
>> Did either of you try disabling the setting of sched_clock_stable in
>> arch/x86/kernel/cpu/intel.c:early_init_intel()? I found this to be a
>> requirement in our pv kernels (though in connection with the use of
>> C-states, not with S3).
>>
> Before I try it -- can you explain what would be the theory behind it,
> specifically how this would be related to HT? Clearly it is a HT
> problem, and intuitively, I would expect this to be a Xen-side problem,
> rather than DomU-side?

The HT connection is only a vague one, as Jeremy also hinted at in
his reply. The issue is that with sched_clock_stable set,
sched_clock_cpu() (and cpu_clock()) gets short cut to sched_clock(),
hence becoming susceptible to eventual non-monotonic behavior of
that function.

In any case, it's a wild guess only, attributed to the partially-hung
observations you made matching my observations (on new Intel
CPUs only) prior to addressing this issue.

Jan