[Xen-devel] DomU lockups after resume from S3 on Core i5 processors

To: "xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx" <xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Xen-devel] DomU lockups after resume from S3 on Core i5 processors
From: Joanna Rutkowska <joanna@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 05 Jul 2010 12:38:33 +0200
Delivery-date: Mon, 05 Jul 2010 10:08:36 -0700
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
I'm experiencing very reproducible DomU lockups that occur after I
resume the system from an S3 sleep. Strangely this seem to happen only
on my Core i5 systems (tested on two different machines), but not on
older Core 2 Duo systems.

Usually this causes the apps (e.g. Firefox) running in DomUs to become
unresponsive, but sometimes I see that some very limited functionality
of the app is still available (e.g. I can open/close Tabs in Firefox,
but cannot do much anything more). Also, when I log in to the DomU via
xm console, I usually can see the login prompt, can enter the username,
but then the console hangs.

I tried to attach to such a hanged DomU using gdbserver-xen, but when I
subsequently try to attach to the server from gdb (via the target
127.0.0.1:9999 command), my gdb segfaults (how funny!).

I'm running Xen 3.4.3, and fairly recent pvops0 kernel in DomU. In Dom0
I run 2.6.34-xenlinux kernel (opensuse patches), but I doubt it is
relevant in any way.

This seems like a scheduling problem, and, because it seems to affect
Core i5 processors, but not Core 2 Duos, it might have something to do
with Hyperthreading perhaps?

joanna.