Re: [Xen-devel] build problems

On Tue, 2009-12-29 at 12:29 +0000, Justin Ferguson wrote:
> That said I may be making things unnecessarily stupid on myself by
> using some new-fangled version of grub (that shipped with the distro).

Have you tried using the distro supplied Xen and kernel packages?

> > I think there is a target in the 2.6.18-xen tree which will perform this
> > strip and compress step for you but I don't recall what it is, it might
> > be the "vmlinuz" target although note that people often rename whatever
> > image they have built to that name so if you find one lying around it
> > isn't necessarily in any particular format.
>
> Well a make kernels leaves you with the top level image necessary (or
> other ones in the arch directories). A full make world/make install
> installs a bzImage. The implication here of course is that the default
> image installed from a make install is the bzImage that cannot
> possibly work. (v2.04-v2.08 thing)

If you do "make world KERNELS=linux-2.6-xen" it will build a 2.6.18-xen
kernel and do the correct thing by not using bzImage. I guess you are
using the default which I think is equivalent to KERNELS=linux-2.6-pvops
and assumes bzImage support is new enough, if you just drop in some
other kernel than the one it would clone itself it may not work.

> > If you need to post again please include the exact grub config file you
> > are using and the precise error messages rather than paraphrasing.
>
> So, the grub.cfg I have at the moment contains the entry from the last
> make world/make install, since then I've attempted to boot the top
> level images on the command line as described. To satify you're
> request, the relevant entry is as follows:
>
> menuentry "xen" {
>         multiboot /boot/xen-3.4.gz dom0_mem=512M
>         module /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.18-xen root=/dev/sda5 ro
>         module /boot/initrd-2.6-xen.img
> }

IIRC grub2 (which is what you appear to be using) strips the image name
itself, while grub1/legacy did not. I think you need a placeholder
command line argument to work around this, perhaps a "." , e.g.
"multiboot /boot/xen-3.4.gz . dom0_mem" and "module /boot/vmlinuz-... .
root=etc..."

I've not used grub2 myself though and I'm not sure if this relates the
the magic error you refer too.

> I'm not attempting to clutter the dev list with user list type things,
> but I'm fairly certain there is a bug here.

I'm pretty certain it is a configuration error, which might translate to
a bug in the docs or something like that. You will likely find more
people who have been through this on the users list.

Ian.