[Xen-devel] build problems

To: xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Xen-devel] build problems
From: Justin Ferguson <jnferguson@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 28 Dec 2009 23:24:00 -0700
Delivery-date: Mon, 28 Dec 2009 22:24:23 -0800
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Hi,

So I have been attempting to build xen from source for a bit longer
than I care to admit. I'm trying very hard to stay within the realm of
supported/non-experimental which seems to vastly limit my options.
That is to say the 2.6.27 patch from novell is listed as
unsupported/undeveloped/experimental and the paravirtualization stuff
in 2.6.3x kernels is listed as experimental as well. This basically
leaves the 2.6.18 option available to me.

Trying to get it built has been a bit of a process, if you use the
tarball that pulls down from kernel.org (instead of mercurial), there
is a number of issues that made me finally move on to the mercurial
sources (ketchup breaks due to a bad regexp, there are compile time
errors in the kernel source [i.e. forgot to include limits.h], et
cetera). The mercurial version compiles cleanly, but then I run into a
run-time problem.

On boot it informs me that I need to use bzImage v2.08 instead of
v2.04. After some digging around, what it looks like to me is that xen
at some point was brought up to use v2.08 of the boot protocol and
this was never backported to the 2.6.18.8 kernel (v2.05 was released
in 2.6.20). This of course won't work (is there absolutely no one
actually using the default and supported option?). So I elected to use
the vmlinux/zImage version and I get the 'error: no multiboot header'
from grub (for both multiboot & linux directives). I get this for the
kernel that pulls down from mercurial and the tarball on the website.

My problems as best as I can tell appear to be a few things:

- Grub has changed and I *think* this relates back to why I can't seem
to boot the vmlinux image

- Xen 3.4.2 cannot boot a bzImage of the supported dom0 kernel

So this leaves me with the question, how exactly am I supposed to use
your product with?