Re: [Xen-devel] Xen 3.4.1 NUMA support

To: Dulloor <dulloor@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-devel] Xen 3.4.1 NUMA support
From: George Dunlap <George.Dunlap@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 9 Nov 2009 12:29:42 +0000
Cc: Dan Magenheimer <dan.magenheimer@xxxxxxxxxx>, "xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx" <xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Keir Fraser <Keir.Fraser@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Papagiannis Anastasios <apapag@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Delivery-date: Mon, 09 Nov 2009 04:30:02 -0800
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=gmail.com; s=gamma; h=domainkey-signature:mime-version:sender:received:in-reply-to :references:date:x-google-sender-auth:message-id:subject:from:to:cc :content-type; bh=9RbJdMZp/+0z36V8EbsJO9fwIv7B0Uw1z/hJpDTb5jw=; b=VjzuATYIQSaemBp1CeYabXC865FtUCWhaEpnSf0BdU4rv3NKJwwtiH6hxh4tuTwaMm KaEM1UNem8untAGzijE48OhoCOTW5XvfvsNnOmWm3trOW3XRKVYvRnwPS4U14pgDbYUu 1GQGLrmQX5T9X+R1TooMMWOR6TBcIceOCjFsA=
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
On Mon, Nov 9, 2009 at 11:39 AM, Dulloor <dulloor@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> What's the current scope and status of your scheduler work ? Is it
> going to look similar to the Linux scheduler (with scheduling domains,
> et al). In that case, topology is already accounted for, to a large
> extent. It would be good to know so that I can work on something that
> doesn't overlap.

My plan was to do something similar to Linux, but with this
difference: Instead of having one runqueue per logical processor (as
both Xen and Linux currently do), and having "domains" all the way up
(as Linux currently does), I had planned on having one runqueue per L2
processor cache.  The main reason to avoid migration is to preserve a
warm cache; but since L1's are replaced so quickly, there should be
little impact to a VM migrating between different threads and cores
which share the same L2.

Above the L2s I was planning on having an idea similar to the Linux
"domains" (although obviously it would need a different name to avoid
confusion), and doing explicit load-balancing between them.  But as I
have not had a chance to test this kind of load balancing yet, the
plan may change somewhate before then.

Problems to solve wrt NUMA, as I understand it, are to balance the
performance cost of sharing a busy local CPU, vs the performance cost
of non-local memory accesses.  This would involve adding the NUMA
logic to the load balancing algorithm.  Which I guess would depend in
part on having a load balancing algorithm to begin with. :-)

Once I have the basic credit patches in working order, would you be
interested in working on the load-balancing between runqueues?  I can
then work on further testing of the credit algorithm.  My ultimate
goal would be to have a basic regression test that people could use to
measure how their changes to the scheduler affect a wide variety of
workloads.

 -George