[Xen-devel] Last Branch Record (LBR) in Xen

To: xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Xen-devel] Last Branch Record (LBR) in Xen
From: Abhinav Srivastava <abhinavs_iitkgp@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 25 Jun 2009 22:27:15 +0530 (IST)
Delivery-date: Thu, 25 Jun 2009 09:58:10 -0700
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=yahoo.co.in; s=s1024; t=1245949035; bh=SYs7QXxerBSch8H/QE9dXCZRjlY2RGQ86+de9M50dCg=; h=Message-ID:X-YMail-OSG:Received:X-Mailer:Date:From:Subject:To:MIME-Version:Content-Type:Content-Transfer-Encoding; b=w3uuq59PCqVHd0wrl58VTse4Pi/a8+nMRIfb4Nmrii1w8Trg3eP4UsSoXL/M7gUMZTO9WR4NdQXqS/SODNj/EVxrI+YJh5JJDyNKdRoneJAPW1zGWGci1lEEr+hnBQgmCn3DMQV7CHCrTFBccxTtwhPZlPLNxu9WKA1I3oUVdS4=
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Hi there,

I am trying to achieve Last Branch Recording (LBR) functionality on Intel Core
2 Quad processor from Xen hypervisor. However, I could not get it working. I am
using Xen-3.2.2 (which I agree is a bit old, however, there is not much change
in the code related to this functionality in Xen-3.4).

I looked into the patch provided by Keir and Jan Beulich, and still I did not
understand how to make it work. I got some success in creating single step on
branch feature by setting bit 1 of GUEST_DEBUGCTL_MSR register. However, when I
am trying to achieve LBR functionality (which requires reading LASTBRANCH_TO_IP
and LASTBRANC_FROM_IP registers too), it is not working.

I must admit that by looking into the patch I got little bit confused. It would
be really good if someone could tell me what are the steps required in the
hypervisor to enable this feature. Since I want to control this feature from
the hypervisor without doing anything inside guest, how should I approach to
this problem.

Any help in this regard would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Abhinav

      Love Cricket? Check out live scores, photos, video highlights and more.
Click here http://cricket.yahoo.com