[Xen-devel] Xen runs out of memory!

To: "xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx" <xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Xen-devel] Xen runs out of memory!
From: "Jayaraman, Bhaskar" <Bhaskar.Jayaraman@xxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 12 Mar 2009 15:50:43 +0530
Accept-language: en-US
Acceptlanguage: en-US
Delivery-date: Thu, 12 Mar 2009 03:21:16 -0700
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Hi all, I’m trying to increase max grant table frames from the current 32 pages to a user defined value. I’m basically trying to map an entire domain into another so I have say a Linux HVM with 3GB memory and I’m trying to map the whole domain into another domain with 4GB memory.

So I set the max grant frames to 1536 (needed to map 3GB of memory into any domain), but when I setup the grant table for that many frames Xen is only able to setup 1427 grant table frames at the most and Xen fails after this in alloc_heap_pages.

I’m also not able to bring up any other HVM after this, i.e. xen has no memory for any other domains, which makes me wonder if anyone has tested the maximum domUs that can be brought up on Xen (255 right?).

Is there anyway I can make this memory allocation succeed? i.e. by increasing Xen memory or some other means? (Xen in HVM uses 64MB)

Regards,

Bhaskar.