Re: [Xen-devel] Windows SMP

To: James Harper <james.harper@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Venefax <venefax@xxxxxxxxx>, Dirk Utterback <dirk.utterback@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-devel] Windows SMP
From: Keir Fraser <keir.fraser@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 29 Dec 2008 08:56:18 +0000
Cc: xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Mon, 29 Dec 2008 00:56:45 -0800
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
On 29/12/2008 08:47, "James Harper" <james.harper@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>> The WHQL tests are oblivious to it. It's just a patching of mmio
>> writes to the APIC TPR register.
>
> Looking at the way KVM does it, it appears to detect writes to the TPR
> register when they are trapped, and then give the DomU (or whatever KVM
> calls it) the address of the instruction so that the DomU driver can
> then patch it. Is that what Citrix is doing? Does the current xensource
> tree have such a mechanism in it?

The result is the same, but there's no hypervisor component, so none of it
is open sourced.

You could get similar results by putting static Windows-kernel-specific
fixup tables in your drivers, or I'd be open to having a KVM type of
interaction between Xen and your GPLPV drivers. Putting the payload in the
generic virtual BIOS seemed kind of gross to me.

 -- Keir