Re: [Xen-devel] Windows SMP

To: Venefax <venefax@xxxxxxxxx>, 'James Harper' <james.harper@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, 'Dirk Utterback' <dirk.utterback@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-devel] Windows SMP
From: Keir Fraser <keir.fraser@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 29 Dec 2008 08:14:02 +0000
Cc: xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Mon, 29 Dec 2008 00:14:34 -0800
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
On 29/12/2008 02:59, "Venefax" <venefax@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> I had to disable both, and PAE. Only APIC=0 would not make any difference. I
> will some further testing with Citrix Xenserver 5, using the same virtual
> machine and another copy with their vmpd drivers. I bet that there is no
> difference in performance. It seems to be a Xen architectural issue. Any
> ideas?

The problem is almost certainly APIC related. APIC=0 actually has no effect
for a multi-processor HVM guest, since APICs are architecturally absolutely
required in x86 multi-processor systems.

The problem is most likely lots of emulated APIC TPR writes slowing things
down. Possible fixes:
 1. Run a Windows guest with the 'lazy TPR' optimisation -- w2k3sp2+, w2k8,
vista. Or run 64-bit Windows which will write TPR in a different way which
most Intel/AMD CPUs can virtualise efficiently.
 2. Run a new enough Intel processor which has automatic TPR handling even
for 32-bit Windows guests.
 3. Run Citrix drivers which patch Windows to avoid TPR writes.

 -- Keir