RE: [Xen-devel] can't create any more pv-on-hvm domains after ~38under 3

To: "Keir Fraser" <keir.fraser@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: RE: [Xen-devel] can't create any more pv-on-hvm domains after ~38under 3.3-testing
From: "James Harper" <james.harper@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 1 Dec 2008 19:27:37 +1100
Delivery-date: Mon, 01 Dec 2008 00:28:01 -0800
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> > forget about the zombie domain. Yet presumably it still hangs
around.
> > I haven't reproed anything like this, but I'm not using your drivers
> > and I
> > don't know whether you are using 64b or 32b Xen.
> >

> Hmmm... I hadn't considered that it might be my drivers causing
this...
> even when I boot without them enabled, parts of them still run so that
> could be it, and would explain why the problem is news to you :)
>
> I'll do some testing and report back with more details.

Without the GPLPV drivers loaded, an 'xm shutdown' does a 'hard'
shutdown but leaves the domain hanging around. An 'xm create' is
required to clean it up.

Xen is amd64 built from 3.3-testing from about a week ago.
Dom0 is also amd64 and is from Debian (vmlinuz-2.6.18-xen-3.3-1-amd64)
DomU is Windows 2003 x32 Enterprise Edition

After the shutdown, while the domain is still hanging around, 'xm list'
says:

bitvs2:~# xm list
Name                              ID   Mem VCPUs      State   Time(s)
Domain-0                           0  1015     1     r-----    314.7
smtp2                              1   512     1     -b----    226.2
virtdemo                           3   768     1     ---s--    206.0

virtdemo is the domain in question.

James