Re: [Xen-devel] Priority for SMP VMs

George Dunlap wrote:
If you want a "clean" scheduler test, you should instead run "while(1)
;" loops, which will never block, and will always consume all cpu time
available.  My guess is if you do that, then the cpu time given to
each domain will be exactly according to their weight.  On the other
hand, if you do a "kernbench" test, which will include a lot of
blocking, I suspect you may get even more disparity between the
runtimes.

My experience is that kernbench, if run properly, should not block. It precaches the source in memory before starting, so it should not generate any reads during a benchmark run. It will still write the build products, but write-behind should make that non-blocking from the benchmark's perspective.

Running the maximal "make -j" test without enough memory will drive the machine into swapstorm, which will definitely block, but you're supposed to run with enough memory to avoid that (~4G bytes, I think).