RE: [Xen-devel] [Patch 4/4]: Xend interface for HVM S3

To: "Ian Jackson" <Ian.Jackson@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: RE: [Xen-devel] [Patch 4/4]: Xend interface for HVM S3
From: "Ke, Liping" <liping.ke@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 8 May 2008 17:59:21 +0800
Cc: xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Thu, 08 May 2008 03:00:14 -0700
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Ian Jackson wrote:
> Ke, Liping writes ("[Xen-devel] [Patch 4/4]: Xend interface for HVM
> S3"):
>>  [Patch 4/4]: Xend interface for HVM S3
>>    - extend "xm resume <domid>" to be able to S3 resume HVM domain.
>>    - when user issue "xm resume" command for HVM domain, xend will
>>      use xc lib API to call HVMOP_s3_resume hypercall.
>>
>>  Note: it may not appropriate use xm resume for HVM s3, since xm
>>  resume is originally designed for save/restor purpose. It will be
>>  fine that xend maintainer find another place to put this code.
>
> If you want to reuse `xm resume' for this you need to think about the
> interactions with the existing `xm suspend' and `xm resume'.  What
> combination of states are permissible, what transitions exist, and how
> are they triggered ?
Since hvm suspend is initiated by HVM guest, so only xm resume entry
is reused here.

> What if the guest is in the middle of going into one kind of suspend
> when a request arrives to put it into a different kind of suspend ?
> (Users often make multiple similar requests if they think the first
> request isn't working.)

Currently it will do HVM_S3_Resume when we detect it is hvm domain
in  domain_resume temporarially. I think it is a temporary solution.
I think there are only two combinations: if it is save, resume -> restore.
Otherwise, resume->s3 wake up for HVM.
So do you think which way is better, reuse xm resume or not?

> Ian.

Thanks a lot!
Regards,
Criping