[Xen-devel] Re: Qemu vnc color depth

To: Anthony Liguori <anthony@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Xen-devel] Re: Qemu vnc color depth
From: Stefano Stabellini <stefano.stabellini@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 12 Feb 2008 11:23:49 +0000
Cc: xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "Daniel P. Berrange" <berrange@xxxxxxxxxx>
Delivery-date: Tue, 12 Feb 2008 03:25:01 -0800
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Anthony Liguori wrote:
We can use the existing space for gtk-vnc although VMware actually already has an extension to support server initiated pixel format changes. See http://wiki.multimedia.cx/index.php?title=VMNC

The extension is VMVi (display mode change). I would much rather just implement that in QEMU and in gtk-vnc.

This would also count in my mind as finally fixing SetPixelFormat since a client could rely on getting the DisplayModeChange message before the server starts using the new pixel format.

I have given a look at WMVi: the message format is fine as it is identical to the PIXEL_FORMAT part of the ServerInit message. However I couldn't see the pseudo encoding number or any client side implementation. I think they used WMVi as part of their format to record AVI videos and not as a VNC protocol extension.

We can use the message format they proposed, but we need also a proper pseudo encoding number. Then we'll send "DisplayModeChange" messages as 1 rectangle framebuffer updates.