[Xen-devel] Re: Qemu vnc color depth

To: "Daniel P. Berrange" <berrange@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Xen-devel] Re: Qemu vnc color depth
From: Anthony Liguori <anthony@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 11 Feb 2008 09:47:59 -0600
Cc: xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, Stefano Stabellini <stefano.stabellini@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Delivery-date: Mon, 11 Feb 2008 07:48:29 -0800
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Daniel P. Berrange wrote:
On Mon, Feb 11, 2008 at 03:18:59PM +0000, Stefano Stabellini wrote:
So, if the client supports the extension use that to notify, otherwise
fallback to doing server-side conversions.
This is a good idea, I just hope it won't take ages to be accepted.
I'll work on this.

There's not really any formal process for VNC extensions. You pretty
much just post to the vnc mailing list & propose what you want to do
and unless its absolutely insane you should get given a psuedo encoding
number reasonably quickly.

We can use the existing space for gtk-vnc although VMware actually already has an extension to support server initiated pixel format changes. See http://wiki.multimedia.cx/index.php?title=VMNC

The extension is VMVi (display mode change). I would much rather just implement that in QEMU and in gtk-vnc.

This would also count in my mind as finally fixing SetPixelFormat since a client could rely on getting the DisplayModeChange message before the server starts using the new pixel format.

Getting it implement in clients is more fun - but feel free to propose
patches to the gtk-vnc mailing list - we aim to be broad compatability
with as many servers as possible & are particularly interested in stuff
that is useful to virtualization.  Also send ideas for the protocol
extension there & we can give feedback on how well it'll work from
the client POV.

Regards,

Anthony Liguori