Re: [Xen-devel] xen 3.1.0 on sles10sp1

To: jbeulich@xxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Xen-devel] xen 3.1.0 on sles10sp1
From: "Sebastian Reitenbach" <sebastia@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 30 Jan 2008 13:13:53 +0100
Cc: xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Wed, 30 Jan 2008 04:14:34 -0800
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
"Jan Beulich" <jbeulich@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> >"Jan Beulich" <jbeulich@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >> The error message clearly indicates that you've got a broken /init in
your
> >> initrd. I guess you'll need to examine what went wrong during its
> >creation.
> >
> >I just did that.
> >For some reason there was an
> >caps="$(</proc/xen/capabilities)"
> >if [ "$caps" != "${caps%control_d*}" ]; then
> >        echo nothing
> >fi
>
> Hmm, that section is there on purpose, but the body certainly shouldn't
> be empty.
>
> >I added the "echo nothing" into the if statement, then it worked. After
> >restarting again, it panicked again, but now because of missing cciss HDD
> >controler driver to access the root partition. I added this and it is
> >starting now.
>
> This sounds like your /etc/sysconfig/kernel (INITRD_MODULES) isn't set up
> properly. But otoh I assume other kernels get their initrd generated
> correctly. Maybe you missed some detail of how mkinitrd needs to be
> invoked, or what prerequisites it has? That would also explain why that
> section above as empty.
yeah, other kernels do not have this problem, I followed the README file, in
point 5) To rebuild a kernel with a modified config...

I think, after that I just only ran depmod -a and mkinitrd without
parameters, and then it was working, this is the way I usually use.
also mkinitrd on sles10sp1 does not know about the -v parameter, and then it
did not liked the --with paramters too:

mkinitrd -v -f --with=aacraid --with=sd_mod --with=scsi_mod
initrd-2.6.16-xen.img 2.6.16-xen
Unknown option: -v
Try mkinitrd -h
srv4:/usr/local/src/dist #
mkinitrd -f --with=aacraid --with=sd_mod --with=scsi_mod
initrd-2.6.16-xen.img 2.6.16-xen
Unknown option: --
Try mkinitrd -h

these versions are installed: