Re: [Xen-devel] Re: [Xen-staging] [xen-unstable] xsm: Consolidate xsm pr

To: Alex Williamson <alex.williamson@xxxxxx>, <ncmike@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-devel] Re: [Xen-staging] [xen-unstable] xsm: Consolidate xsm processing within domain control hypercall.
From: "George S. Coker, II" <gscoker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 04 Dec 2007 16:20:48 -0500
Cc: xen-devel <xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Delivery-date: Tue, 04 Dec 2007 13:20:54 -0800
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
A couple of things:

- For these modifications to work, updates also have to be made to the dummy
module for XSM_ENABLE=y to compile

- I do not think these modifications are a win.  I would like to see this
changeset reverted for the following reasons:

1) While it may reduce the number of lines of code in the domctl hypercall,
it won't really reduce the overall number of lines of code in the hypervisor
if a module chooses to implement security operations on all of the donctl
operations.

2) This will also impose on the security modules the responsibility to
acquire and hold locks on hypervisor resources.  It would seem dangerous to
give modules this responsibility.

3) Performance will be impacted because of the additional multiplexing in 1)
and additional resource management in 2).

George

--
George S. Coker, II <gscoker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>