[Xen-devel] Frontend/Backend model

To: xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Xen-devel] Frontend/Backend model
From: "David Shwatrz" <dshwatrz@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 17 Mar 2007 21:15:31 +0200
Delivery-date: Sat, 17 Mar 2007 12:14:28 -0700
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Hello,
A question about frontend/backend model:

I had looked in the code of netfront (and blockfront) and I wonder
: do these modules operate in soft_irq or interrupt context?
For exmaple, methods like network_start_xmit() (for trasmitting frames
in nerfront ) or network_tx_buf_gc() (for receiving frames in netfront) ?
I see that the netif_int() calls network_tx_buf_gc(). But is domU
network_tx_buf_gc() method called from a regular interrupt context
(like in the ususal case, when we deal with ordinary
drivers) ? Am I permitted to call a method that may sleep in these
methods ? As I understood, interrrupt handling in Xen is different, because interrupts are
handled by domain 0, and as I understood there are events channels and pending
events, and the interrupts are in fact handled first by domain 0, which activates
some event channel messages.
I want to verify this point for better understanding the frontend/backend model.

Regards,
D Shwatrz